Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Miso Soup and Udon Noodles


Since the cleanse ended, I have been continuing to draw from dishes that I made during the cleanse and have been having lots of simple stir fries, so I haven't posted any new recipes. But tonight, I made Miso Soup with Udon Noodles and it was delicious, so I thought I would share it! The soup contains some ingredients that I took out during the cleanse (miso, which is a thick salty paste made from fermented soybeans, and kamut noodles, which is a gluten containing grain), but that are fine for many people during a cleanse.
Here is the recipe for Miso Soup and Udon Noodles (see picture to the left):
2 tbsp olive oil, 1 onion, sliced, 3 garlic cloves, minced, 2 tbsp ginger, freshly grated, 1/2 portobello mushroom, chopped, 1/2 cup shitake mushrooms, chopped, 2 carrots, chopped, 1 cup zucchini, chopped, 1 cup sugar snap peas, cut in half, 1 cup black kale, chopped, 2 1/2 cups water, 1 lemon, freshly squeezed, 3 tbsp miso, 1 package of cooked udon noodles, 2 cups cooked chickpeas, 2 green onions, chopped

Heat olive oil in deep pan or soup pot and add onion, garlic, and ginger and saute for 3 minutes. portobello mushrooms, shitake mushrooms, carrots, zucchini, and sugar snap peas and saute for another 3 minutes. Add black kale and saute for another 1 minute. Add water and lemon and bring to boil, reduce to simmer and stir in miso until dissolved. Stir in cooked udon noodles and cooked chickpeas and simmer for 3 more minutes. Remove from heat and stir in green onions.

The miso I used was Genmai Miso by Amano (made with brown rice and soybeans). Because soy is one of the most heavily sprayed and genetically modified crops, I always ensure that I use certified organic soy products to reduce the amount of pesticide residue on the food I am eating (the Amano miso contains certified organic soy). Because miso is a fermented soy product, it tends to cause less digestive upset than unfermented soy, like soy milk, so it can be a better fit for people. The udon noodles I used were Kamut Udon by Sobaya and they cooked up very easily in approximately 8 minutes.

This soup (which was more like a stir fry with a bit of extra liquid!) was quick and easy to make (the meal was ready in less than 1 hour) and it tasted great!

No comments:

Post a Comment