Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Happy Fall!

















With the arrival of fall, another growing and gardening season has drawn to a close.  I have a few calendulas (second from top picture) and bachelor buttons that I haven't had the heart to pull yet, but everything else has gone into quiet mode.  
For the first time this spring, I started annual plants indoors.  The plants that were the happiest included:  cosmos, bachelor buttons, zinnias (top picture), calendula, and marigolds.  It took a bit of extra work initially, but it was exciting to watch these plants go from a seed to a beautiful flower and I will start all these plants again from seed next year!

All of my tomato plants were also started from seed this year and I had another bumper tomato crop!  I have made some delicious tomato sauce to carry through the winter.


With the arrival of fall, I have made a few batches of the Yummy Fall Granola (recipe is found on this blog post from 2010:  http://nurture-your-health.blogspot.ca/2010/10/yummy-fall-granola.html).  It is so yummy and fortifying!
Even though the weather has been so beautiful, I have also made a few batches of warming stews including a variation of the Winter Yam Stew (recipe is found on this blog post from 2010:  http://nurture-your-health.blogspot.ca/2010/01/winter-yam-stew.html).  It is perfect for the crisp fall evenings!


I recently discovered a wonderful new cookbook called The Homemade Vegan Pantry by Miyoko Schinner.  It contains healthy, delicious, and simple recipes for many of the basic items I would normally buy.  I have made the Mountain Bar recipe several times - I find these bars a perfect blood sugar balancing snack and I haven't had to buy many store bought bars over the past few months as a result.

I had a chance to drive through beautiful Meadow Lake Provincial Park in Saskatchewan in late September and was greeted by some lovely rose hips (second from bottom picture) and some beautiful goldenrod that had gone to seed (bottom picture).  It was a wonderful fall drive!

No comments:

Post a Comment